Celbridge is a small market town, partly in the parish of Dunacomper, barony of south Salt, but chiefly in the parish of Celbridge, barony of North Salt, county of Kildare, 12 ½ miles W. by S. from Dublin, and 12 N. from Naas; seated on the banks of the river Liffey, over which is a handsome stone bridge of six arches. The town consists principally of one street, at the extremity of which stands the church. The woollen and cotton manufactures are extensively carried on here, and afford employment to a large number of the industrious class. The places of worship are the established church, and a Roman Catholic chapel, the former a neat modern stone building, with a good tower and painted window. A fever hospital, and a dispensary, as well as a Sunday and day school, supported by subscription, also a savings bank, are well sustained here; and, in 1841, a new union workhouse was erected. Lyons, the magnificent seat of Lord Cloncurry, within a short walk of the town, is well worth the attention of the visitor; and at Castle Town, not far distant, stands the beautiful mansion and residence of Colonel Connolly. Near to the house is Celbridge Abbey, a favourite retreat of Dean Swift’s, and the residence of the lady celebrated in his poem of Cadenus and Vanessa. The market is held on Saturday; and fairs on the last Tuesday in April, September 8th, and November 7th. Population in 1841, 1,289.
POST OFFICE, CELBRIDGE, James Leslie, Post Master.- Letters from all parts arrive (From DUBLIN) every morning at seven and half-past nine, and are despatched for all parts (to DUBLIN by mail cart) every afternoon at half-past four.
POST OFFICE, LEIXLIP, Anthony Bacon, Post Master.- Letters from all parts arrive every morning at half-past nine and night at nine, and are despatched every morning at four and afternoon at three.
POST OFFICE, LUCAN, James Lynch, Post Master.- Letters from all parts arrive every morning at a quarter before nine and night at nine, and are despatched every morning at four and afternoon at a quarter before four.
PLACES OF WORSHIP,
And their Ministers.
ESTABLISHED CHURCH, Celbridge- Rev Robert Pakenham, rector; Rev Samuel Grier, curate.
ESTABLISHED CHURCH, Leixlip- Rev Henry Steward, rector.
ESTABLISHED CHURCH, Lucan- Rev H.A. Prior, perpetual curate.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL, Celbridge-Rev Patrick O’Rourke, parish priest, Rev Patrick Woods, curate.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL, Leixlip- Rev John Cainan, parish priest; Rev Mr Casson, curate, Lucan.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL, Lucan- Rev M.B. Kelly, parish prieSt
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL, Lucan- ministers various.
COACHES AND CARS
Through Lucan and Leixlip
To DUBLIN, the Royal Mail, every morning at four, a Coach, at the same hour, & others every evening at half-past five and half-past six, and a Car, every afternoon at half-past two, and another at three.
To BALLINASLOE, a Coach, every morning at a quarter past seven; goes through Maynooth, Enfield, Kinnegad, Moate, Athlone.
To BOYLE, a Coach (from Mullingar), every morning at twenty minutes past eight; goes through Maynooth, Enfield, Kinnegad, Mullingar and Longford.
To GALWAY, the Royal Mail, every night at nine; goes through Leixlip, Maynooth, Enfield, Kinnegad, Moate, Athlone and Ballinasloe.
To LONGFORD, by the Coach to Boyle
To MULLINGAR, a Coach (from Boyle), every morning at twenty minutes past eight-and a Car, every afternoon at half-past one.
To SLIGO, the Royal Mail, every night at nine; goes through Lucan, Leixlip, Maynooth, Enfield, Kinnegad, Mullingar, Longford and Boyle.
To TULLAMORE, a Car, every morning at ten.
DUBLIN is the nearest Station on the DUBLIN and DROGHEDA Line-to which there are Conveyances daily as stated in the preceding coach liSt
A description of the towns of Celbridge, Leixlip, Lucan and Neighbourhoods, along with places of worship, public institutions and conveyances serving the area.