Survey of Celbridge by Patrick Shaffrey, Town Planner July 1982,
Architectural notes by Patrick Shaffrey, history notes by Lena Boylan.
Town Centre Main Street South
1. Broe’s – gable ended, 4 bay, 2 storey shop with annexe on the corner, slated roof, plaster finish, timber window. Empty at present; poor condition.
2. Lisa Electronics – small 2 bay shop with archway
3. WT Murray, Confectioner – 5 bay, 2 storey, plastered walls, painted, tiled roof. Petrol Pump.
4. Post Office – 3 bay, 2 storey shop and dwelling, central doorway, small windows- quoins, asbestos slated roof.
5. 2 bay, 2 storey house, traditional windows,) plastered, tiled roof attractive.
6. 2 bay, 2 storey house smooth plaster, dormer windows, tiled roof. Entrance to rear.
7. Cotter & Son – Drapery and Haberdashery 5 bay, 2 storey house, plastered, traditional windows, tiled roof – small scale Built in the mid eighteenth century by Arthur Baillie, Robert’s son.
8. Terry Boylan, Auctioneer – 3 bay, 2 storey shop and house. Timber windows, dashed and painted, Slated roof.
9. 4 bay, 2 storey house, plastered, slated roof, quoins – open entrance to rear. Fine view of trees behind
10. Mahon’s Electrical Shop – 3 bay, 2 storey, smooth plaster, asbestos slates – pleasant shop front – An archway to behind.
11. Walsh’s Pharmacy – 6 bay, 2 storey shop and) dwelling – modernised shopfront. Date from the early nineteenth century. Old ruined cabins, the remains of the holdings of the Fenaughty family, the town’s eighteenth century weavers and lay undeveloped here until the 19th century
12. Doctor’s Surgery – asbestos roof – slight dip in the roof.
13. 3 bay, 2 storey house, top window changed, slated roof, brick chimneys, plastered walls.
14. 3 bay, 2 storey house, original windows – ground floor windows modernised. Nice Georgian doorway, dashed.
15, Bridgeman’s 6 bay 2 storey double shop, modernised cement plaster, unpainted, new timber windows and doors.
16. Family shoeshop – improved house, dashed with Georgian windows, tiled roof – dated 1724 and 1728 – name George Finey under date stone. Small setback in building line George Finey, William Conolly’s agent, had his house in a central position in the street opposite the Mass House in and, as if to remind the old Jacobite inhabitants that a new era had arrived, he incorporated tablets with the name of the town and the date of his own arrival inscribed. This house was occupied by Richard Guinness and Arthur and Samuel.
17. Blake’s Pharmacy – small 2 bay, 2 storey shop plastered, plastic fascia.
18. Small 1 bay, 2 storey house gable projection.
19. Christoper Barry, Auctioneer impressive 5 bay, 2 storey house with steps up to front door – 2 storey over basement – railings in front, plastered and improved, slated roof. Set back from street. Small annexe projects to the street line – gateway. Built in 1840 by Richard Nelson and .let to Chief Constable Marley. It replaced an old dwelling house with stables and offices where William Wadsworth, the original Irish Straw Manufacturer and exporter lived and operated at the end of the 19th century
20. Antique Shop – 3 bay, 2 storey small detached house – windows changed, slated roof, projecting porch with a flat roof. Wall with a gate to the yard behind.
21. Pair of houses – 3 bay, 2 storey, plastered, tiled roofs, improved, windows changed –
22. 3 bay, 2 storey house over basement with pediment, stone fronted, brick surrounds to the windows, hip slated roof, end chimneys, steps up to the door. An attractive house setback from the street. Central archway and 2 side pavilions – one used as a shop. Fine trees in front garden. Flanking walls form a very pleasant courtyard. Kildrought House, built in 1720, by Robert Baillie, a Dublin Upholsterer who was William Conolly’s greatest prospect as an improving tenant. He sold in 1749 and a large extension, which included a malt house, pidgeon house and servants apartments was erected on the north side of the dwelling by the new owner. These were converted into additional rooms for cholera and fever hospital after 18- when Kildrought House was called in- service as a Dispensary and Fever Hospital. The original addition of this build (No. 24) spoiled the fine arrangement and layout of Robert Baillie’s house
23. Fine stone 2 bay building, ‘gable ended onto the street, coursed rubble. Now used as a Joinery Shop.
24. Detached house – 2 storey, setback, slated roof, probably attached to the Joinery. Archway setback with house into garden.
25. 3 bay, 2 storey brick front house, slated roof, plastered at sides. Circa 1930s.
26. Pair of single storey garages.
27. Parochial House – substantial house on its own grounds – 2 storey over basement, double pile, newly plastered, steps to entrance on corner. Good stone wall in front – fine trees Gardens down to the river. Beside a laneway down to the river.
28. Church of Ireland – nave, chancel, side aisle on west side, small porch, slated roof. Random rubble walls, sandstone quoins and reveals to windows. Christ Church and the adjoining National Schools were built on the site of Squire Thomas Conolly’s Kennels. The church was built in 1884 at a cost of £3,000. Thomas Drew was the architect. The tower of an earlier church which Charles Lily designed to the directions of Lady Louisa Conolly in 1813 was retained and completely renovated the expense of Joseph Shaw. The gates which were the great object of Lady Louisa’s latter years were completed 1820 when she was 76 years of age with very limited resources, due to the extravagances of her late husband Squire Thomas who died in.1803. She was rewarded for her concern for these when Catholic and Protestant children attended her classrooms and the School of Industry.
29. Single storey building facing laneway behind the church – rubble plastered sale, slated roof. Part of school complex.
30 Celbridge National School – single storey with to storey end projections, 6 bay, large windows, End projections – 2 bay, built as dwelling houses and still in use. Lean-to annexe at rear, Granite Doric columns at entrance, rubble walls lime plastered, lime plastered quoins and dressings in windows, limestone sills, ugly electricity pole in the laneway.
30A Field between the entrance drive to Castletown and the river – important site.
31. Entrance gates to Castlketown House in limestone with attractive pillars with mouldings and carved figures on top. The entrances displays the craftsmanship of John Coates, wh carved the stone drawn from the quarries of Carrick, Carbury in West Kildare in 1783. James Behan, a Celbridge blacksmith, fashioned the iron gates and railings.
32. 2 bay, 2 storey house, plastered with brick surrounds – inside the gates.
33. Corner 2-story house with rounded projecting porches. Walls dashed and timber windows, blank gable to Maynooth Road. Small one bay extension on Maynooth Road. Called the round house, it was an early 19th century improvement on the apothecary’s shop, which was located here close to the kennels.
34. Pottery – small 2 bay, 2 storey house, rubble walls with brick surrounds – attractively presented.
35. An entrance and substantial stone wall marking the limits of the older Celbridge. Beyond is a new single storey bungalow, – stone wall in front, tiled roof.
36. Single storey, 3 bay house with garage attached.
37 Single storey detached house, tiled roof. Both 36 and 37 are probably in the grounds of an older house, just outside the estate walls which form part of boundary.
38. Single storey house, slated roof, central doorway.
39 Pouch’s shop – gable fronted building – now a shop.
40. Flat roofed extension.
41 An old farmyard with blank wall of outbuilding to the street – potential for development.
42 Group of 2 storeyed semi-detached cottages with projecting porches, slated roofs, Originally with traditional windows and brick surrounds – some considerably changed.
43. Double &able single storey house, painted black and white, tiled roof. Circa 1950s.
44. Lawrence Caravan Depot – extensive site – group of evergreen trees.
45. Group of two storey cottages.
46. Pair of semi-detached houses with attached garages, half brick fronts, tiled roofs.
47. Elm Park – small cul-de-sac of new houses half brick and stone fronts. Semi-detached, 3 bay, gabled with hipped roofs, tiled large windows with side garages.
48. Infill site behind stone wall with “for sale” notice – the garden perhaps of the last house on the main street. At the junction of the Main Street and the Big Lane – now the Maynooth Road – early in the 18th century, there were 14 cabins. Six lay between the house of Thomas Fisher, the nailer, on the Main Street and the corner, and eight on the Big Lane reaching up to Tilburry, the glaziers. All had backyards and gardens.
Main Street, North
49. Impressive 5 bay, 2 storey house with central pediment, plastered, slated roof, fine doorway. Yard and garden at rear facing onto Maynooth Road. This house was built by Charles Davis, Dublin cabinetmaker in 1750. He succeeed George Finey as agent at Castletown. The decorative iron arch to the entrance gate, Mr Mulligan had constructed from material salvaged from the G.P.O. Dublin after the 1916 Rebellion.
50. 5 bay, 2 storey house – windows changed, parapet, slated roof, plastered. Small front gardens. Crudely modernised. An entrance to the rear.
51. 5 bay, 2 storey improved house – for let as shops or offices – sensitively restored. New 2 storey annexe behind. Plastered with slated roof. A bequest of £300, which John Heir, Squire Conolly’s racing groom, inherited from his late master in 1803, was invested in these two houses.
52. Mick’s Sports Shop – small 2 storey, 2 bay.
53. 2 bay, 2 storey house, plastered, slated roof.
54. 2 bay, 2 storey house.
55. 3 bay, 2 storey house.
52-55 form a small terraced group. The last house is changed – windows out of scale.
56. Attractive group of four 2 storey houses with double dormer windows. The first smooth plastered; second – dashed; third smooth plastered, not painted; fourth – dashed with rear entrance – instead of window on ground floor. This terrace of houses was restored by Lord Rathdonnell at the end of the 19th century. Older houses here had remained derelict since 1798 when they were burned.
57. Small 2 storey house – lime plastered – original character – attractive. Rear entrance, double roof, central valley.
58. Newish 3 bay, 2 storey house, with asbestos slated roof – improved. Entrance to rear.
59. 2 bay, 2 storey house, tyrolene finish, slated roof. One of the oldest houses in the town. It was renovated in the latter half of the 18th century for Thomas Conolly’s huntsman.
60. Castletown Inn – 4 bay, 2 storey Pub – modernised, brick front, Georgian style, slated roof. Archway to car park behind. The Castletown Inn stands where Isaac Annesley, the early 18th century master stonemason lived.
61. Pair of houses – first – 3 bay, 2 storey, limeplaster. Then 3 bay, 2 storey, smaller – 2 bay on the ground floor.
62. Hennigan’s Foodmarket – small 3 bay, 2 storey, newly plastered, slated roof, plastic sign. Good granite kerbstones in this part of Celbridge.
63. Entrance to side of Catholic Church and to DIY Shop/Celbridge Hire Services Limited. There may be potential here for developing back yards.
64. Small group of 2 storey buildings just before the Church – in an important position. The first two are houses – two bay. The next is a drapery shop/ boutique – Lady Fair – 2 bay, modernised. Then Connolly’s Confectionery Shop – 3 bay, 2 storey. Then Celbridge Hire Services – 3 bay, 2 storey. Connollys and Celbridge Hire Services are all part of the one unit.
65. Catholic Church – set back from the main street. Attractive forecourt, gardens well maintained. Gothic style church, small scale, central nave with side aisle, coursed. rubble with dressed limestone quoins and reveals. Pleasant belfry. Internally quite impressive – high nave, timber ceiling, treble lancet windows over the altar. Good pine furnishings and marble furniture. Has retained much of its intrinsic character. The Church was completed in 1857. JJ McCarthy was the architect and Wm Farrell of Dublin, the builder.
66. St Brigid’s Primary School – 2 storey, modern brick building, flat roofed. Entrance from Main Street.
66A Flat roofed 2 storey building – concrete brick walls. Few properties on this side of the Main Street have now extensive back gardens. Perhaps they were sold in the process of development over the years.
67. Convent The convent was built in 1877.
68. Carberry’s Butchers Shop – 2 bay, 2 storey black tiled front.
69. Dwelling house attached to shop – 2 storey, 2 bay. Both have been modernised, tyrolene finish. Hair Creations upstairs.
70. 2 bay, 2 storey house – part of a group with 68.
71. Group of six larger 2 storey houses – plastered ,walls, mostly original windows. First – 2 bay house; then 1 bay house; then 4 bay shop – Kiernan; then 2 bay improved house with pleasant windows; then 2 bay, improved house – bottom window changed. Then McKenna’s small shop, plastered, painted purple, not unpleasant, block lettering – 2 bay windows, traditional. Attractive group of houses – plastered walls, slated roof.
72. 3 storey house – setback with small front garden, in line with McKennas. Bay window on the ground floor – 3 bay, central doorway. painted and plastered.
88. Older pair of two-storey houses. First 1 bay, 2 storey; next – 2 storey, windows changed at ground level.
89. Shortt’s Newsagent – modernised, plastered first floor. Accountant’s Office overhead painted cream.
90. Hair Salon – Cee’s Place – 2 bay, 2 storey, modernised. Both 89 and 90 have a new slated roof.
91. O’Brien’s Drapery Shop – 2 bay, 2 storey, interesting windows with plastered reveals.
92. Mill Cottage – Corner house, i bay on the Main Street, and 1 bay on the corner – newly plastered/dashed and painted – now Solicitor’s Office.
93. 2 bay, 2 storey dwelling house. The last house in the group.
94. Small gatelodge – 2 bay, single storey, slated roof. Entrance to Celbridge Lodge.
95. Grotto at the junction of two roads.
96. Celbridge Lodge – attractive 3 bay, 2 storey over basement house. Good tree- lined grounds. Celbridge Lodge was built by Giles of the Shaw and Haughton Partnership which operated in the mills as Flour Millers and Flour Spinners 1841-18
97. Small 2 storey house, 2 bay on first floor, 3 bay on the ground floor, plastered – modernised – small side garden.
98. Pair of 2 storey houses, hipped roofs, plastered walls, brick surrounds to windows and brick quoins – modernised.
99. Telephone Exchange – single storey.
100. Single storey modern house at right angles to the road.
101. Detached one and a half storey house – plastered, brick quoins and brick reveals to the windows, partly brick and partly plaster reveals to the windows, slated roof – attractive.
102. Small single storey detached house – hipped roof, plastered and improved.
103. 2 storey house – gable end to the road, modern, flat roofed annexe.
104. Good stone wall with a garden behind. Perhaps a former entrance to Celbridge Lodge. Potential building site.
105. Pair of semi-detached houses with brick reveals. Similar to No. 101.
106. Oldish single storey house, perhaps a cottage, hipped slated roof. Older than 105 or 101.
107. Modern single-storey brick house.
108. Pair of 2 storey houses on the corner – improved. One called Emmet Mews, the second has a flat roofed extension. Good stone wall behind – wall buttress. May be of significance.
109. Old church and graveyard – ruins of an earlier church – this could become an attractive feature. At present it is rather dilapidated.
110. Good stone wall which screens off ~an entrance to Celbridge Lodge.
111 St Patrick’s Housing Estate – substantial group of housing. Local authority semi- detached, 2 storey, plastered walls, tiled roofs. Circa 1950.
112. St Raphael’s Hospital – large complex, including new and old buildings, workshops, etc. Stone wall in front of this is a fine feature – although not in good condition, helps to provide a sense of enclosure. The hospital has developed from what appears to be an early 18th century house. Walls generally about 10′ high. Adjacent to the old house are a number of 2 storey outbuildings with blank walls to the street – they add interest to the overall scene. Built by Dr Arthur Price in 1724 when he was created Bishop of Meath.
113. Rather unsightly parking area – perhaps a Posts and Telegraphs site.
114. Fine stone wall joining the Abbey with the Spinning Works – about 121 high – a good sense of enclosure here with the high wall of the Abbey and on the other side the slightly lower wall of St Raphael’s Hosp.
115. 4 storey millhouse – first section – 3 bay with residential type windows. Then 4 bay 5 storey mill, cut stone, brick reveals to windows and a small annexe. Many changes and alterations have been made to this building over the years. Now due to close down. The old mill complex occupies a strategic place both on the river and in the town centre. The Manor Mills of Kildrought were set up by Thomas de Hereford as corn mill. They continued as such in a succession of buildings until 1805 when Laurence Atkinson, a Yorkshire woollen manufacturer, built the present factory.
The market house (116) is now part of the mill premises. 115 and 117 were built as mill managers’ houses in the midcentury.
116. After the entrance is a fine slightly curving wall – stone. Probably 2 storey warehouses – date 1785 – partly barrel-vaulted galvanised roof. Remnants of stone arches on the ground floor. Further use of mill complex will be important architecturally as well as economically.
117. 3 storey, 3 bay house -plastered walls, modernised windows. An entrance down to the river.
118. Small 2 storey house on the bridge – cobbled footpath In front – empty at the moment. An attractive building – formerly toll house. Perhaps it may be affected by road widening.
119. Allen’s Bar – 4 bay, 2 storey, painted black and white, slated roof; car park and riverside garden behind. Originally house and shop.
120. Gleeson’s Supermarket – 4 bay, 2 storey, interesting corner treatment. Corner building. Pleasant garden beside.
121. Pair of 2 bay, 2 storey houses – plastered slated roofs; unpainted, rather grey.
122. Small single storey shed with galvanised roof.
123. Fine stone wall boundary extending for a considerable distance along the Lucan Road.
124. Single storey house with diamond shaped asbestos slated roofs.
125. Old Methodist Church – now an FAC building. Poorly presented – side area.
126. Attractive singe-storey building with a slated roof – rounded edge, pointed windows could become another pleasant building. Pleasantly located beside river.
127. The Grove – a group of 14 single storey, gable fronted houses.
128. Small bungalow – hipped roof. Circa 1940s.
129. Single storey detached house. Laneway beside.
130. National School – circa 1950 –
131. Single-storey shed – an old building at right angles to the road.
132. Open countryside. Further out there are individual new houses – mostly single storey. Extensive wedge of open land between here and the Dublin Road – some farm buildings, both new and old on it. Beyond the speed limit sign there is relatively little sprawl. The side road leading to Simmonstown Stud forms a definite end to the town.
133. Group of five bedroomed modern detached houses in a cul-de-sac off the road.
134. 4 detached 2-storey modern houses.
135. Electricity 38 K.V. Station.
136. 2 storey modern house.
137. Single-storey modern house.
138. Single-storey house.
139. Celbridge Abbey The home of Swifts’ Vanessa was purchased by Thomas Marley after the death of Vanessa in 1723. His son, Dr Richard Marley, Bishop of Waterford gothicised the house, circa 1783. Bishop Marley’s improvements did not impress his nephew the patriot Henry Grattan, who wrote a poem in condemnation.