The houses in Celbridge Main Street and town centre were built in the decades after the takeover of the town by the Conolly family from Thomas Dongan in 1709.
Three prominent houses on Main Street were built by successive agents of William Conolly.
- Robert Baillie (d1761), a Dublin upholsterer and neighbour of Conolly in Capel Street was Conolly’s first agent and among the first of the new tenants to take up residence in the town. He leased the plot in 1718 and had Kildrought House designed by Joseph Rotheny for construction the following year. Baillie sold to Thomas Walsh in 1749 and moved to Sherwood Park, Carlow. The building became home to John Begnall’s Academy (1782, undocumented, claim made by MJ Foley in the 1890s). Jeremiah Haughton, owner of the Mill lived there after 1818, it housed a cholera hospital in 1830 and served as the police barracks from 1831 to 1841 when the barrack moved to the site of the current Michelangelo’s restaurant. Next door is the courthouse where Celbridge petty sessions took place every fourth week. The importance of Celbridge in the evolution of magisterial law is mentioned in the 1857 memoir of Valentine Lawless (1773–1853, Lord Cloncurry) who constructed the nearby Lyons House.
- Conolly’s second agent George Finey (d1752) built No 22 Main Street (the “Finey House”) directly opposite where the Catholic Church was erected later in 1857. Richard Guinness father of the founder of the Brewing dynasty lived here and married Elizabeth Clere, proprietor of the White Hart Inn, a public house on part of the site of the current Spar supermarket.
- Conolly’s third agent Charles Davis, a Dublin cabinetmaker who was Conolly’s agent, built Jassamine House on the junction of Main Street and the Maynooth Road in 1750, an impressive five bay house with a weather vane. It was home to seven generations of Mulligans until 1992. One of the Mulligans had the decorative iron arch to the entrance gate constructed from material salvaged from the GPO Dublin after the 1916 Rebellion.
On the corner of the Main Street and Liffey Bridge, Broe’s house and shop (1773) is now the Bank of Ireland.
Matthew Gogarty came from Clondalkin in 1871 and established a shop in 1883. The Gogarty shop front is from c1873.
A Georgian style house on the main street was built in 1840 by Richard Nelson and let to Chief Constable Marley, it replaced an old dwelling house with stables and offices where William Wadsworth, pioneering Irish Straw manufacturer and exporter lived.
The Castletown Inn stands where Isaac Annesley, the early 18th century master stonemason lived. No 59 next door, one of the oldest houses in the town, was renovated in the latter half of the 18th century for Thomas Conolly’s huntsman.
James Carberry’s Brewery (1709) later became Breen’s Hotel, King’s, Norris’s and the Village Inn.
Castletown gates at the end of the street were built in 1820 to a design inspired by English garden designer and writer Batty Langley (1696–1751).