LYONS, a parish in the barony of South Salt, 2 miles south of Celbridge, co. Kildare, Leinster. Length, south by westward, 3 miles; extreme breadth, 14 miles ; area, 1,634 acres. 3 roods, 23 perches, of which 22 acres, 2 roods, 12 perches are water, and 1,500 acres, 3 roods, 37 perches for a detached district nearly a mile to the south-west. Population 1831, 158; in 1841, 379. Houses 69. The surface lies on the east verge of the county consists of good land; and is traversed, through both the main body and the detached district, by the Grand Canal. The demesne of Lyons, the property and residence of Lord Cloncurry, occupies the middle and the southern thirds of the parish, and also extends westward into Clonaghlis. and eastward into the county of Dublin, The mansion stands on a rising ground and is a handsome arid spacious granite structure, of a quadrangular centre and two corridors and pavilions, erected chiefly after designs by Mr Grace. The interior is well arranged, contains many splendid apartments with beautiful fresco paintings and a large collection of antiques and works of art. The demesne is extensive and well-wooded, and contains a fine lake. A rath in the demesne, and on the boundary-line between the counties of Kildare and Dublin, commands a vast panoramic view, including parts of thirteen eounties. The ruins of a castle and a church are situated on the verge of the demesne, and are said to be the relics of an ancient town, of which no other vestiges exist. A principal tower of the castle. with a stone staircase winding to its summit. still remains. In 1641, this castle was taken and sacked, and a large extent of the country wasted, by order of the republican lords justices Parsons and Borlace. The ruins of the church are in the pointed style of architecture, and form an Object of much interest to both the antiquary and the lover of the picturesque. “At Lyons resided for many centuries,” says Mr Brewer, the family of Aylmer, a junior branch of which family enjoys the title of baron in the Irish peerage. Ralph and William Aylmer, as we are informed by Archdall, were living at Lyons in the year 1300. Michael Aylmer Esq in the latter part of the 18th century, sold this ancient inheritance of his respectable family to Sir Nicholas Lawless, Bart, created Lord Cloncurry in 1789; from whom the estate descended to his son, the present baron. This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of KILL [which see], in the diocese. of Kildare. Tithe composition, £76 16s. 6d. glebe, £17. The Roman Catholic chapel is situated in the detached district, and has an attendance of 400; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the Parish of 101. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 36, and the Roman Catholics to 151; and 2 daily schools one of which was salaried with £10 from the National Board-had on their books’ 63 boys and 35 girls.