The building that served until recently as St Anne’s NS in Ardclough has been formally put at the disposal of the local community.
Ardclough Community Council received the key to the former national school from 1950 to 2013, in Ardclough on October 5th. It will now be known as the Ardclough Village Centre.
The building is to be utilised as a community resource to enrich the quality of life in the locality, promote lifelong learning and assist individuals in developing foundational skills through Community Learning programmes.
These programmes are to be designed to promote healthy use of leisure time, improve skills and increase awareness of the community.
From now until Christmas a number of courses are to be delivered in partnership with the Kildare and Wicklow Education and Training Board in computers for the terrified, healthy foods, yoga and taking stock.
Dr John Griffin – Chair of the Community Council’s sub committee was there to receive the key from the departing principle Mrs Patricia King and caretaker Tony Maguire.
The Parish Priest Fr Willie O’Byrne and Sean Ash, CEO of the KWETB have being instrumental in providing support to the Community in getting the project up and running.
“We are most grateful for their support as fundraising these days if quite difficult,” John Griffin says. “To receive such expert help from KWETB and full support from Fr O’Byrne has meant that this idea has been resurrected to life from near failure.”
“Earlier in the year with the disbandment of the LEADER grand scheme from the Dept of Environment the outlook for the project was not favourable.”
“The support given here has been outstanding and has taken this project from an initial idea through to fulfillment.”